Thursday, January 15, 2009

A little bit of why

As an Etsian (Etsy)who moonlights as a Hyena (Hyena Cart) I've begun to realize that I'm pretty lax when it comes to promoting my business.

For example right now I have about 10 new items to list, but have yet to take decent pictures. It's not that I don't have time to do it, it's more that I just am not in any hurry.

I can use Twitter to my hearts content to post and new items or promotions. I can chat it up in the forums or chat rooms until I'm blue in the face. But honestly the idea of doing these things, just in the "hopes" of getting a sale makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a pack of twizzlers.

Yes, the more people that see you can then notice your products, but honestly, people either like what you do or move on past. I get enough business to keep me busy and content. But most of all I don't want to become the type of business that I personally hate.

The biggest way to turn me off is to shout SALE SALE SALE.... LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME. It reminds me of the little attention hog know-it-all kid from elementary school. I want to be a business that makes you feel at home and well-listened too. Posting and running is not my thing.

I don't intend to insult anyone who takes this approach because it can very well work for them. I just want to explain why it doesn't work for me.

You probably will never find my blog page filled with listings or treasuries, promo spots or anything to really do with pushing traffic to my shop. That's just not me.

Yes, I do occassionally write about new designs I've fiddled with or new ideas, but for the most part my blog is more a way to keep me sane. It lets me get my odd sense of humor out in the open. It lets me blow off steam so that I'm not so agitated I can't create.

I always promised myself when I started Moose Threads that I would keep it fun and as long as I can keep it that way I'm happy.

No comments: